Monday, November 9, 2009

The importance of Herbs in the Garden

It's flue season, and that means it’s time to talk about natural medicine.

In the garden I have planted a few types of herbs: thyme, parsley, lemon balm, chamomile, oregano, sweet marjoram, mint, cilantro, borage, and basil. Mostly, the use of herbs in the garden was for the purpose of attracting beneficial insects and repelling pests. But, many of these herbs hold many healing properties.

I was dealing with an illness for a few days and found myself researching the healing properties of these herbs. Most everything comes from reading the book 20,000 Secrets of Tea.

For example, thyme is an amazing plant with regards to healing properties. According to the book, thyme is also known as the “knockout infection fighter”. It is antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, antispasmodic, and others. I don’t really know what some of the means, but I have been making tea with it, and letting it steam in a pot to cleanse the air. I think a bath with would be beneficial too.

Lemon balm is another good herb to have around this time a season. Lemon balm used to be known as the “cure-all”. Lemon balm has antidepressant, antihistamine, antibacterial, antiviral, eases tension, and other properties. I’ve been blending lemon balm with parsley to make tea.

Parsley’s reputation is wide. My reference book says it, “is a winner when it comes to wholesome brews and healing virtues.” The book goes on to say, “It carries a hearty share of disease-fighting nutrition, including plenty of vitamins A and C antioxidants, protein, B-complex, chlorophyll for the cell….” I gave it to my roommate at the first sign of him getting sick.

Those are just few herbs I have growing. I am also waiting on rosemary and sage to mature. I’ll be planting lots of lavender next spring. And I am praying that the chamomile that self-seeded this summer, and is beginning to sprout wildly will make it over winter. So, to any new gardeners out there, I encourage you to plant some herbs with your vegetables. They will help with pest management and help you fight off the flue and other infections.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Interestingly enough, I've put thyme on a good amount of the food I've eaten in the last few days and I somehow managed to wake up sick yesterday morning.

justin.owings said...

sorry friend. brandon still got sick too. maybe if we use these medicinal herbs more regularly it will act as preventative rather than responsive health care. keep eatin' it! ha, hope your well.