Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Inside in December

It's cold!

This time a year I am finding myself inside more than out. Being inside, I have begun thinking more about gardening inside. I found this video on inside plants (winter is the time for research, reading, dreaming, and seed catalogs).




I don't have any of those plants. But, I have been growing a spider plant (chlorophytum comosum) and two peace lilies (Spathiphyllum). Spider plants absorb carbon monoxide and formaldehyde, and filters mold spore allergens and other harmful toxins. They don't look beautiful, but good enough, and they are functional. They are easy to propagate because they actually grow new plants at the end of their leaves. All you do is cut the new plant off and put it in a new pot of dirt.

Peace lilies are known for their work in filtering mold spores too. Try placing them in the bathroom because they may reduce mold build up in showers and shower curtains, and can filter air of chemicals often used in the bathroom (hair spray, etc).

NASA studied and named many house plants and their benefits.

No comments: