Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stephanie Johnson

To be honest, I didn't really know what to expect when I learned that we were going to ENCM.  I mean, I knew we were supposed to be working in a garden, but I had no idea if we were going to be planting, weeding, cleaning vegetables, anything. Little did I know, it was going to be one of the funnest Saturday mornings I've ever had.

To start it all off, it was freezing.  And I happened to be the ONLY one who didn't bring a sweatshirt. Lucky me, right? Anyways, Justin gave us a tour of the garden and then put us right to work.  I started off with sifting the fertilizer.  At least I think that's what it was called. I wasn't too upset because I knew my arms were going to get a phenomenal workout.  Who needs a shake-weight when you can sift?! Plus I had a great time getting to know Marcus and Bryanna. We decided that we're taking a trip to England, and then we're taking a road trip to Graceland.

While we were sifting, I was noticing how many people were walking around the garden.  There were quite a few kids playing around, and adults going for walks.  It made me feel great to be helping out this community and seeing my impact right in front of me.  

Another thing that grabbed my attention was how many recyclable materials were being put to use.  There was this giant pile of leaves that I thought was simply that; a pile of leaves.  Justin later explained that when the leaves break down, there are a ton of nutrients that can be used for the soil.  There was also the beginnings of a mud-house.  How cool? A shed made from mud bricks? How more resourceful could one get?

In all honesty, this experience has been a blast.  And I get to do it all again this weekend! I heard about the impact that ENCM is having on it's surrounding communities, but to see it in action and participate is far more rewarding than reading about it online.  I can't wait to see what happens this weekend, and for the rest of ENCM's future!

No comments: